Hey Black Ops fans, the Multiplayer Beta is right around the corner, and we couldn’t be more excited to get this early version of the game into your hands for testing and feedback. And as we’re giving you a sneak peek at the game before it’s finished, it’s really important that we establish what the Beta is, what it isn’t and what your participation means to us.
First, Black Ops 4 is very much still a work in progress. “Beta” means that we have a couple of months to go before the game is ready to launch, and we’re going to be doing a ton of fine-tuning, balancing, polishing, and even adding a few final features. Your input is super important throughout this process… know that it will have a huge impact on how we finish the game ahead of launch. We’ll be listening to your feedback, collecting your bug reports, and assessing the data that we’re capturing about the performance of gameplay content so that the game is as balanced as it can be at launch. It’s important that you participate in the conversation through social channels and CS so that your voice is heard – more on that in a bit.
Second, this is only a portion of the full Multiplayer experience that Black Ops 4 will offer at launch. There are more maps, more game modes, more Scorestreaks and more weapons and gameplay content coming to Multiplayer on launch day and beyond, and we can’t wait to continue to bring the rest of this game to you on October 12th.
Here’s what you need to know about the Beta…
First let’s take a deep-dive into the maps. You may have seen some gameplay footage from the four playable maps at E3 – you’ll have access to those maps, as well as some new experiences:
- Frequency: A covert listening station deep in the mountainous region of Hunan Province is being used to track strategic targets across the globe.
- Contraband: Surveillance of an international arms smuggling operation has uncovered this shipping hub on a remote, uncharted island off the coast of Colombia.
- Seaside: An anti-government protest in this quaint coastal Spanish town grew out of control and forced a military shutdown.
- Payload: A defensive ICBM launch facility deep in an Icelandic mountain range has been infiltrated by hostile forces attempting to steal a nuclear warhead.
For the Beta, we’ve added two additional maps bringing the total for this weekend’s Beta to 6 maps:
- Hacienda: A lavish vineyard estate situated on a quiet lake in the Spanish countryside, home to a high-ranking crime syndicate boss.
- Gridlock: A Japanese metropolis whose city center has been jammed up by a bank heist gone wrong.
These maps will feature several fan-favorite and new game modes, organized into a handful of playlists which will be updated throughout the Beta. Here are the playlists and modes that will be available:
- Our signature new game mode designed to bring out the best of tactical Specialist gameplay.
- Chaos Team Deathmatch
- A playlist that takes our ever-popular non-objective based game modes and adds a twist. The format here is 6 vs. 6, and allows two of each Specialist per team for chaotic fun. Includes Team Deathmatch and Kill Confirmed*.
- Capture Moshpit
- This playlist combines our fast-paced favorite objective modes, Domination and Hardpoint, for palm-sweating action.
- Search & Destroy*
- If you’re into slower-paced strategy, this one is for you. With new Specialist weapons and equipment, the tension is palpable.
* The Multiplayer Beta is the first time that Search & Destroy and Kill Confirmed will be playable in Black Ops 4.
Throughout the Beta, new maps, new modes and new game mode variants will be available at various times, so check back each day, because we plan to deliver gameplay elements that will constantly add something new to the mix.
Specialists return to Black Ops 4 with special issue weaponry and equipment that complement one another, creating opportunities for fun and explosive gameplay. The Specialists available for play during the Multiplayer Beta include:
- Special Issue Equipment: Grapple Gun – allows user to quickly grapple and zip to locations nearby.
- Special Issue Weaponry: Grav Slam – Kinetic device that delivers a lethal blast radius around the point of impact.
- Special Issue Equipment: Tac Deploy – Deployable beacon that gives your teammates the ability to redeploy to the surrounding area.
- Special Issue Weaponry: Annihilator – Massive high-caliber revolver that fires devastating rounds with increased bullet penetration.
- Special Issue Equipment: Reactor Core – Emits a damaging radiation field that wounds enemies and reduces their maximum health for a time and prevents healing.
- Special Issue Weaponry: Purifier – Flamethrower that shoots a steady stream of flame, scorching enemies within close range.
- Special Issue Equipment: Cluster Grenade – Powerful explosive grenade that sticks to surfaces and releases sub-munitions upon detonation.
- Special Issue Weaponry: War Machine – High explosive grenade launcher.
- Special Issue Equipment: Sensor Dart - Reveals enemies within its proximity.
- Special Issue Weaponry: Vision Pulse - Pulse the map to reveal all the enemies for yourself and teammates.
- Special Issue Equipment: Razor Wire – Damages and slows enemies that attempt to cross it.
- Special Issue Weaponry: Barricade – Reinforced cover for protection while securing objectives. Built in microwave field slows and damages enemies.
- Special Issue Equipment: Assault Pack – Supplies ammo packs that provide bonus score for taking down enemies.
- Special Issue Weaponry: TAK-5 – Heals and boosts max health for the user and their team.
- Special Issue Equipment: 9-Bang – Tactical grenade that flashes and stuns. Can be cooked for multiple detonations.
- Special Issue Weaponry: Ballistic Shield – Durable transforming defensive shield with a built-in machine pistol.
- Special Issue Equipment: Mesh Mine - Explosive traps that connect to create lethal tripwires.
- Special Issue Weaponry: K9-Unit – Attack dog that can be commanded to follow you or patrol a designated location.
- Special Issue Equipment: Seeker Shock Mine – A deployable tactical that hunts down enemies and shocks them with temporary paralysis.
- Special Issue Weaponry: Tempest – A tactical rifle that shoots electrically charged shock rounds to incapacitate enemies and any squad mates within their proximity.
In Black Ops 4, team play is rewarded more than ever, giving all ranges of playstyles opportunities to earn powerful Scorestreaks, like the Strike Team and Gunship to push your team to victory. Specialists enhance your favorite playstyles to support varying elements of team and objective play.
Since this is a Beta and designed to test the game in specific ways, we will have gated progression caps as you level up through the multiplayer experience.
Lastly, as you navigate through the Beta, test out Specialists, weapons, and various team rosters to find the best combination to fit your playstyle and secure wins for your team.
The Feedback Process
The Multiplayer Beta is more than just an opportunity for us to share what we’ve been working on for the last few years, it gives you the opportunity to provide the kind of feedback that helps us add a final layer of polish and refinement to the game for a better Day One experience for everyone. So, a Beta is only as good as the feedback we get from it – here is how you can weigh in with yours:
- Twitter (@Treyarch): Our Community and Live Ops teams will be watching our social channels throughout the Beta and we want to get your thoughts on everything regarding gameplay and particularly any issues and bugs that may arise. (That never happens, right? The game is still in development, so bugs may occur.) Please tag your feedback with #BO4Beta to make it easier to find.
- Twitter (@ATVI Assist): If you have a specific technical issue, tweet @ATVIAssist. Tweeting at @ATVIAssist and Treyarch should cover all your bases…tag your tweets with #BO4Beta.
- Reddit: Our Community and Live Ops teams will also scour Reddit, so feel free to add your comments to the r/BlackOps4 subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Blackops4/
- Console: Depending on the technical issue, you may be given the opportunity to “report a problem” directly on your console. If that happens, please do so, as it helps us track down the source of issue.
- Survey: After you’ve played the Beta, you will be given the opportunity to provide us with direct feedback through a survey: https://www.cvent.com/d/jgqvyy
Keep an eye out on the studio’s social channels – we’ll be doing everything we can to make sure you are able to make the most out of your Beta experience.
Of course, there’s also the opportunity to showcase your skills: if want the world to see your best Black Ops 4 MP Beta moments, upload your clips to Twitter or Instagram using #CODTopPlays for a chance to be featured. The Call of Duty team will be highlighting top plays all Beta long.
We hope you have fun playing the Black Ops 4 Multiplayer Beta, and we’ll see you online!